Monday, May 25, 2009

In the hospital

Yesterday morning I had to come to the emergency room because my heart was beating irregularly and I was having chest pain when I stood up. My mom and I were in the ER for five hours, and they determined that I had a blood clot in my lung. Clotting is a rare side effect from one of the chemo drugs, usually seen in older leukemia patients like me. They started me on a shot in my stomach that I have to take twice a day pretty much the rest of this year, to thin my blood to prevent the clotting. I'm in the Peds Oncology unit now where I was the first week of treatment. Around 6:30 last night my heart finally settled down and has been beating normally since, and my pulse has come down. I also am able to stand up without any chest pain, and am feeling good like I was on Saturday. I had a bunch of tests done this morning, and will be in the hospital for observation until tomorrow - They originally thought until Thursday, but if all of the tests come back OK I will hopefully leave. Everything should be back to normal now, and I will give a better update from home.

4 comments:

  1. Well, in true Jake fashion, he dealt with this curve balk thrown at us with such a great attitude. It scared the crap out of his mother but we managed to get through another day. Today is a much better day with evidence that this little naughty clot is dissolving itself and jake's heart can relax and get back into a normal groove.

    Hopefully home tomorrow so we can all get ready for the big graduation! Cheyne needs his big brother home to celebrate!!

    I Love you Jakey and am so proud of you,

    mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jake - Sorry this bump in our journey required a stay in the hospital, but glad they are taking good care of you and found the problem with the clot so quickly. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you to get good test results so you can be "sprung" from the hospital tomorrow.

    Cuz, you are not off the hook from going to get pizza with me and your mom. Was going to be your treat, but actually I think it would have been more our treat!!

    Take care and keep smiling....
    Shelby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meant to say "your journey" but maybe "our journey" works too since you know you have tons of support and we are all here for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You bet, Shelby - we will go get pizza and salad as soon as we can arrange it!! I was so pissed on Sunday morning because I knew we were going to the hospital - I had really been looking forward to our lunch date and the movies with my grandparents. But, we had to do what we had to do. I think I'll see you at Cheyne's party, though... if not, SOON!

    ReplyDelete