Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Back at home

Well yesterdays prediction was correct. I was released this afternoon from the hospital: feeling good still, and the doctor said my heart sounds healthy and strong again. Hospitals don't lend themselves to a good night's sleep, though, so I suspect tonight I'll get some rest! I go Thursday early morning for another bone marrow check, and a little dose of chemo in a spinal tap. Last time they did that, besides being knocked out most of the day, I didn't really have any side effects. The doc said I should be feeling pretty good the next couple weeks, and that I can visit Flagstaff without any trouble. Let's hope that this is the case - no more bumps in the road - and that the next two weeks (and the rest of this year wouldn't be bad, either) are smooth sailing. I start the next phase Monday June 8.

The prednisone steroid that I have been on for the past 28 days will end tomorrow, and that is going to make me one happy guy. I will finally stop eating enough for 17 people, and I will stop having insomnia and the other mental things that have come with this drug. My muscles have disappeared since I have been pretty immobile for nearly the past two months now, since I became ill. My torso and face are enormous but this will all go away soon, too! I can get back to the gym and eat a normal diet within the next week. I know this shouldn't be my biggest concern - you know, the whole 'I have cancer', thing - but it has been. I guess that is a blessing and proves my first month - besides these past three days - wasn't too bad, after all.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are back home jakey!
    xoxo
    dawny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are home too. I'm glad your heart is back to normal, your blood clot has dissolved, you have the right medications and hopefully will have some peace for the next ten days. God knows you have earned it! Your attitude is amazing and the best healing tool available to you. Actually, you are an amazing person, always have been and always will be. You do not look like a pregnant woman! You have lost so much weight the last two months that your steroid gain makes you look healthier! You have just taken your last pill tonight so you can put your voracious appetite on the shelf and quit worrying about your wee steroid puffiness - basically beause it ain't there! Veggies, driving yourself, events, movies, freedom! Oh, and the completion of your semester papers! Yesssssss!

    Love you so much, you just couldn't believe it. NTG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please excuse me for just catching up on your blog but the picture that I saw of you from the end of May you look great. You make a shaved head look pretty good - it must be the tight, wrinkle-free skin, unlike Tom's baked dome! So quit sounding like a chick "oh, I gained a pound". Next you'll be asking "do these jeans make my ass look fat?" I'll beleive it when you start wearing a girdle.

    On a totally serious note, though...you have the best attitude of anyone I could envision as a patient. You are positive yet realistic, hopeful yet honest, thoughtful yet have the emotions of a very loving, caring, strong man. You are an awesome freind and nephew to me, more than I can express in a typed note here. You are inspiring others with your transparency and honesty here in this blog and with your positive approach. I so look forward to seeing you.

    love,

    Unkie D

    ReplyDelete