Sunday, June 7, 2009

Round 2


For some reason my head & neck have been feeling better in the late afternoon and evening the past few days (which have been the culprit of my suffering this past week)... So I decided to go out last night with Cassie... BUT only after I finished my final for one of my classes. Now I only have ONE more assignment (albeit a hefty one) for ONE more class to finish my spring semester! We saw Terminator, which wasn't as good as I was hoping for but still was entertaining. I did start to get a headache during the movie, but it wasn't as bad as the headaches of earlier this week.

Today I did the same thing, seeing Angels & Demons with my Nana later this afternoon. Just for the record, I thought it was much better than The Da Vinci Code and was a lot better than I was expecting!

Tomorrow my mom and I are checking in at 5:30 AM (ouch) for surgery. I'm getting the port placed in my chest and a spinal tap with chemo (same drug and amount as the past phase). After I'm back in my room I'm getting new chemo drugs - one is a shot in my arm and another IV into the port.

[[The port, in case I haven't mentioned this before, is a small device they place under the skin in my chest that has a tube going directly to my heart. This can be "accessed" to draw blood or give me fluids/drugs/chemo by poking a needle into the device. They put cream or spray on to numb the area before a needle stick, and after it heals will just look like a small bump in my skin. I'll have it for the rest of treatment, including Maintenance, so for about 3 years... it makes it a lot easier to access my blood.]]

Finally, I take another new drug that's a pill before I go to bed. I'll be in the hospital overnight for observation, to make sure I'm hydrated and that I'm not having a reaction to any of the new drugs. I'll be released from the hospital Tuesday after everything goes well tomorrow... and I'll be sure to update this thing as soon as I'm home... or if I get bored in the hospital.

5 comments:

  1. Jake,

    Good luck tomorrow. It will be ok! I know you know that though. Next time i am in phx I am going to come by and bug you! I hope you are doing well.. know that I am thinkin about you :) Devon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wo Mama, Aunt Linda, and Tess are thinking positive thoughts for you--Thanks for keeping us up to date with your progress! Congratulations on finishing one more school
    assignment! WE LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are most definitely in my thoughts! It was so great seeing you last week! Congrats on finishing one of your classes. Is the paper (big one) what you have left for the other class?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jake:
    You remain in my prayers daily.
    Just a warning about the spray, it is highly toxic to your skin and the needle stick isn't that bad!
    Love ya,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Devon, Ellen, and Murray family.. and Anonymous!



    Yes the big research paper is for my senior capstone, the last class I have to finish

    ReplyDelete