Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Help a brotha out!

Today I went to PT and got my butt kicked - but broke a sweat and felt good about it. I had a decent day and hopefully I will have a decent week!! The goal is to not get any fevers or infections while my counts are low, which we avoided during the induction phase.

Since I've received many blood products the past couple weeks, I must make a second plea to all of you to donate blood and platelets! I know many of you incredible family & friends of mine have donated once or more since I was diagnosed. Thank you! And many of you have been lifetime donors, which is even cooler! I provided two links for locations, but there are also local blood drives that churches, schools, and community centers host... so look out for those, too!

For everyone in AZ: http://www.unitedbloodservices.org/donatelocations/az.html

And in California: http://www.unitedbloodservices.org/donatelocations/ca.html

There is a federal policy adversely effecting patients in need of blood products that you may or may not know of. Current estimates are that only 5% of the population donate blood on a regular basis. In addition to donating blood yourself to help leukemia and other cancer patients like me, you can contact a few federal agencies that, for decades, have upheld a discriminatory policy of banning openly gay men from donating blood.

The FDA is responsible. It is a branch of the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, which is a part of the executive cabinet. Please e-mail, write, or call the White House, the Dept of HHS, and/or the FDA and tell them why you think this policy not only blatantly discriminates against a group of people, but also that it isn't helping save lives. Reversing the policy can only make this country a more respectful, caring, and helpful place!!

1 comment:

  1. hay jake
    love the little blood drop of blood you put on your blog. Womama gave a pint on friday! :)
    tomorrow we are celebrating mom's birthday AGIAN!!! there should be over 70 people and i wish you were one of them.
    Hope to see you soon
    Tess and Womama <3
    We LOVE you!!!

    ReplyDelete