Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Chemo Crack

Emend is to leukemia patients what crack is to junkies: it's powerful and we'd most likely rob you to get some more.

Although I have not felt "good" in months now, I am feeling wonderful compared to five weeks ago when I was getting these chemotherapies... without Emend. Last time, no medicines seemed to help my nausea/vomiting and it took everything in me to get through it. This time (with this new trial drug), while my counts are high enough, I am able to get out of the house and stay active. I went out to eat and saw The Proposal with my grandma today, for example. I get Ara-C chemo shots 4x a week and 6MP pills nightly for two weeks now - this will kill my complete blood count so within a week I will most likely need transfusions (blood and platelets) and become neutropenic again (house-bound, no fresh fruit/veggies, no immune system, etc). Until then - I'm crossing my fingers that each day this week is better than its predecessor from 5 weeks ago.

Today I am thankful for each and every scientist and doctor who has paved the way for cancer treatments that I get - in the past, if cancer didn't kill you, it hurt (much more) like hell... and in the future, because of these men and women, they'll have a painless cure.

2 comments:

  1. Jake, glad to hear you found the miracle drug! May I please have your permission to copy your "Chemo Crack" blog and post it at the Relay for Life event? This is EXACTLY why I'm captain of the Camden Cures team! I wish there was a cure, however I see and hear that research is making cancer treatment easier to handle and of course the drugs that kill the cancer(s) lead to long, long lives. Praying for you and thinking of you each day. Aud

    I am He who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you. I will sustain you and I will rescue you. Isaiah 46.4

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, yes, of course!
    Jake

    ReplyDelete