Sunday, December 13, 2009

Así es la vida

Friday I had a count check in the doctor's office. My platelets - even with Tuesday's transfusion - hadn't increased, so the doc wrote for two more units to be transfused. We went upstairs to the clinic to get the transfusions. After the second unit, my throat started closing up and I was wheezing. I also got some hives on my neck and head. The nurses gave me steroids and benadryl for the allergic reaction, and the doctor put me on the oncology floor for observation. I had a fever for an hour or two, but then it came down.

Saturday morning the doc was happy that my reaction hadn't come back overnight. He is concerned with the sores in my mouth and rectal pain I've been having for a couple weeks (Hey - nobody forces you to read this blog). He thinks they should be healing quicker than they have been. So I've been on a bunch of anti-bacterial, anti-viral stuff for two days.

Today my counts were not much improved. But white cells and ANC were up, which is good. I am getting more transfusions - red blood cells today - and more antibiotics. I'm getting a CT scan of my pelvis to make sure nothing is wrong with my booty. And if that's all good, we should be outta here tomorrow... really this time!

2 comments:

  1. I would think after all you've been through your booty may be sagging a bit. It's great to see you haven't lost your ability to laugh. You are an awesome example of courage, tenacity and caring. I loved catching up and reading your Thanksgiving entry here about gratefulness. I have learned more about this in my life in the past year or so too. I am grateful for my extended family, which now includes friends here in Colorado that include me like family(in a good way), for a car that runs, a job, a warm home to live in(the high and low here last Tuesday were +9 and -7 degrees!) and a more appreciative sense of life than ever before.

    God has a purpose for everything and through our experience teaches us the most valuable lessons. I now treasure everyday and thank Him every night for at least five things I am grateful for, a habit I began about a year ago suggested by a very wise person - I believe that through that act alone I am a happier person. I see through your illness, through the times of my life that I could say I have 'wasted', and through a myriad other examples to appreciate every part of life, good and bad. I am blessed with so many gifts in this life, some I am sure that I am not even aware. One of the greatest gifts we can give is our time and I know there are many of us that are extremely grateful to you for taking the time to let us know what is going on in your journey with cancer. It is scary and enlightening to me and makes me appreciate ALL of my loved ones to the point of tears at times. I am so happy that you are nearing the next phase and done with some of those ass-kicking drugs!

    Be encouraged and know that you are deeply loved by many! You are one awesome hombre!

    love,

    Unkie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking about you Jake!

    ReplyDelete